Student Self-Reflection with Core Competencies
For the final report, K-9 students are required to complete a self-reflection on only one of the core competencies. We have compiled a variety of templates to will help you and your students with their self reflections.
- The self reflection can take on a wide variety of forms.
- Focus on “I can” statements, and what the student is able to do
- Where possible, include specific evidence and examples.
- The documents and templates need to be copied to your google drive so you can make your own edits.
“Core competencies’ development is not about reducing the process to only completing a template or checking off a rubric; it is a metacognitive process facilitated and supported by teacher and peer dialogue, an opportunity for reflection on learning activities, and a chance to focus on evidence of growth over time.” – BCTF Education Change Bulletin Feb 2017
**Click the top right blue button to make your own editable copy from the template **
Self Reflection Templates (Core Competencies)
Credit: POPEY Core Competencies
Credit: Rebecca Bathurst-Hunt
Credit: Bianca McEwen
Credit: Hilary Braid-Skolski
Credit: Joy Nugent
Credit: Sarah Elford
Credit: Lansdowne Middle School Staff
Credit: Vicki Roberts
Credit: Jane Spies
Credit: Mt Doug
Credit: Mt Doug
Credit: Esquimalt High
**You have been given view access only to all the documents below. If you would like to edit them, please go to “File – Make a copy”. **
- Core Competencies – K-5 Student Self-Reflection (Link to POPEY)
- Core Competencies – Kindie Self Reflection -thumb up and down- (Bianca McEwen)
- Core Competencies – self-reflection (Bianca McEwen)
- Core Competencies – K Self-Reflection (PDF Version) (Rebecca Bathurst-Hunt)
- Core Competencies Self-Reflection Framework connected to SD61 Spirit of Alliances (Hilary Braid-Skolski)
- Self-Reflection of Core Competencies Grade 3/4 (Joy Nugent)
- Shared Google Folder of Examples from our Middle Schools – 2020
- Core Competencies – 6-8 Self-Reflection (Lansdowne Middle School Staff)
- Active Listening Lesson – Grade 6 Self-Reflection (Vicki Roberts)
- Big Canoe Student Reflection – Shoreline Community School (Jane Spies)
Grade 9 – 12
- Core Competency Self-reflection Page 1 and 4 , (Mount Doug Secondary, Grade 9)
- Core Competency Self-reflection Page 2 and 3 (Mount Doug Secondary, Grade 9)
- Core Competency Self-reflection Booklet (.word file) (Esquimalt High, Grade 9)
Other Examples for Student Self-Reflections
This google folder holds a variety of documents, images and examples of core-competencies being embedded into classroom learning, and well as final self-reflections. Resources will continue to be added to this folder and are collected from all over BC.
Student Led Conference Form (Kelsey Kelley, SD43) This template helps students to reflect on one learning experience connected to the core competencies.
“I Can” Templates with evidence columns ( Janet Chow, SD 41).
Personal Awareness, Positive Identity, Critical Thinking, Creative Thinking, Communication – Core Competencies “I Can Statements”
Self-Assessment of Core Competencies at Elementary (Surrey Schools)
Core Competency Self Reflection at Secondary (Surrey Schools)
SD61 Secondary Core Competency Self Reflection Guide
Further Resources on Self-Reflections with Core Competencies
Intro video to Core Competencies from the Ministry of Education (French Version here)
Core Competency Self-Assessment in Surrey School District Video
Core Competencies in kindergarten in Langley School District
Mastering Self-Assessment: Edutopia
Self-Reflection on Core Competencies from Sooke School District (Secondary) Video
Supporting the Self-Assessment and Reporting of Core Competencies (BC Ministry Document)
Reporting Student Progress K-9: Guidelines for School Districts (BC Ministry Document)
Core Competencies Posters from the Ministry (English)
Les Compétences Essentielles affiches (French Core Competency posters from the Ministry)