Student Self-Reflection with Core Competencies
For the final report, K-9 students are required to complete a self-reflection on only one of the core competencies. We have compiled a variety of templates to will help you and your students with their self reflections.
- The self reflection can take on a wide variety of forms.
- Focus on “I can” statements, and what the student is able to do
- Where possible, include specific evidence and examples.
- The documents and templates need to be copied to your google drive so you can make your own edits.
“Core competencies’ development is not about reducing the process to only completing a template or checking off a rubric; it is a metacognitive process facilitated and supported by teacher and peer dialogue, an opportunity for reflection on learning activities, and a chance to focus on evidence of growth over time.” – BCTF Education Change Bulletin Feb 2017
**Click the top right blue button to make your own editable copy from the template **
Self Reflection Templates (Core Competencies) - Middle
Credit: Lansdowne Middle School Staff
Credit: Vicki Roberts
Credit: Jane Spies
**You have been given view access only to all the documents below. If you would like to edit them, please go to “File – Make a copy”. **
- Shared Google Folder of Examples from our Middle Schools – 2020
- Core Competencies – 6-8 Self-Reflection (Lansdowne Middle School Staff)
- Active Listening Lesson – Grade 6 Self-Reflection (Vicki Roberts)
- Big Canoe Student Reflection – Shoreline Community School (Jane Spies)
Other Examples for Student Self-Reflections
This google folder holds a variety of documents, images and examples of core-competencies being embedded into classroom learning, and well as final self-reflections. Resources will continue to be added to this folder and are collected from all over BC.
Student Led Conference Form (Kelsey Kelley, SD43) This template helps students to reflect on one learning experience connected to the core competencies.
“I Can” Templates with evidence columns ( Janet Chow, SD 41).
Self-Assessment of Core Competencies at Elementary (Surrey Schools)
Core Competency Self Reflection at Secondary (Surrey Schools)
Further Resources on Self-Reflections with Core Competencies
Supporting the Self-Assessment and Reporting of Core Competencies (BC Ministry Document)
Reporting Student Progress K-9: Guidelines for School Districts (BC Ministry Document)
Les Compétences Essentielles affiches (French Core Competency posters from the Ministry)