We are looking forward to Learning Together in the Middle Years.
Thank you to the many people who came together to support the development and planning for the day. A special thank you for those facilitating sessions in the morning or the afternoon.
The virtual conference is available for FREE for all SD61 middle school staffs – educational assistants, teachers, principals, vice-principals, administrative assistants, counsellors, and custodians.
We ask that you please take a moment to fill out this feedback form as we continue to build ProD offerings for of middle schools.
Considerations for the day:
How can we create equitable access to professional learning across our middle schools?
Given Covid19 –and considering staff wellness – How can we create a collective professional learning opportunity that breaks down possible educator isolation so that educators can plan, work, and share together?
How can we create opportunities for staff to collaborate across schools?
How can we reduce the cost and increase the number of options available by sharing the expenses?
How can we create a structure that allows schools the flexibility to utilize the format of the shared day and adapt it to each school context?
All Archives here
All Keynote and Session Descriptions
Keynotes and Sessions at a Glance
Keynote #1 – Why middle: Embracing the learning and developmental opportunities of young adolescents with Dr. Leyton Schnellert
Keynote #2 – Compassion Fatigue with Dr. Jody Carrington **may use colourful language**
- Keynote Follow-Up: Nurturing self-regulated and social emotional learning in the middle years classroom
- Culturally Responsive Math Teaching
- Exploring the Role of Questions in the Classroom
- Les ressources numériques en immersion: vidéos, blogues et sites d’actualités interactifs
- Idello resources for French core teachers
- SD61 Career Explorer Workbook- Bringing engaging career education to your classroom
- First Peoples Principles of Learning: Foundation of a Culturally Responsive Classroom
- Inclusive and Competency-based Individual Education Plans (I&CB-IEPs) in Inquiry & Action
- Compassion Fatigue – Ensuring Our Educators are Okay
- Using Standards Based Assessment in the Middle School Classroom
- Google Forms – Assessment Swiss Army Knife – CANCELLED
- Let them Write! Writing Instruction to Increase Writer Engagement and Drive Learning
- Middle School Music Teachers Sharing
- UVIC Ocean Networks Canada: A Warming Ocean and K-12 Learning Resources
- Keynote Follow-up – Design for One, Design for All
- Evidence Based Math Teaching
- Exploring the Role of Questions in the Classroom (REPEAT)
- A Sense of Place
- ELL Supports in the Content Classroom
- Idello, la plateforme numérique aux 13,000 ressources certifiées en Français
- Weaving together literacy and social emotional learning strategies
- Beginning the Central Middle School Journey Towards Cultural Awareness and Anti-Racism
- A Toolkit for Raising the Attendance Rates of First Nations Students in BC
- Hands-on STEM in the Classroom
- Flipgrid, Screencastify and Google Classroom
- Current Topics and Trends for the Middle School Teacher Librarian
- Compassion Fatigue – Ensuring Our Educators are Okay (REPEAT)