This lesson was co-designed by Troy Koosmann and Nikki Lineham in a Grade 6 class at Colquitz Middle School. Please see the resources and videos below for your use.
Students explore and justify discounted costs and savings using percents of real world items.
- I can explore whole number percents to estimate costs and discounts.
- I can explain and justify math solutions by using math language and vocabulary in math conversations.
- I can explore various ways to solve a math problem and reflect on my learning.
- Click here for the Numeracy Lesson Planning Guide
Related Books and Sites
- Making Number Talks Matter: Developing Mathematical Practices and Deepening Understanding by Cathy Humphreys and Ruth Parker
- Open Middle Math: Problems That Unlock Student Thinking, Grades 6-12 by Robert Kaplinsky
- Good Questions: Great Ways to Differentiate Mathematics Instruction in the Standards-Based Classroom by Marian Small
Three lists of math websites that were requested from Nikki Lineham (all with pros and cons)
Debrief (Audio Only)