Session 1 Goals:
- Light the spark!
- Establish a common understanding of our curriculum framework
- Lay the foundation for the rest of the series.
Session 1 Recording
Link to the Chat Archive
Padlet 1: Sharing Our Assessment Journeys
Tom Schimmer – Video 1 (Content does still matter!)
Tom Schimmer – Video 2 (Unpacking the curriculum documents)
Padlet 2: Addressing challenges and barriers
Compare & Contrast: Socials 10 IRP (Old Curriculum) / Socials 10 (Revised Curriculum)
Full Tom Schimmer Webinar Series: An exploration of assessment with the redesigned grades 10–12 curriculum
Session 1 Tasks: Laying the Foundations
- Connect with your school cohort. Discuss your assessment journeys. What has prompted you to embark on this learning journey?
- Complete the benchmark survey to establish our starting points.
- Select one key lesson or unit that you would like to focus on in our next session. Share these within your school cohorts. Look for connections with the lessons your colleagues are considering. Seek commonalities in order to collaborate.
- Identify which aspects of your lesson are content-focused and which are competency. Reflect on how you could shift these towards a “content as a vehicle to get to the competencies” approach.
- Read and discuss the following within your school cohorts:
- British Columbia’s Curriculum: A Glimpse of the Future?
- Fishing for the Right Assessment Language
- Questions, comments, or thoughts about the readings? Share these in our collaborative doc. See what your colleagues are thinking and respond to any thoughts or questions you connect with.